1.1 Village Roadshow Group of Companies
Village Roadshow Limited and its subsidiaries (collectively, “Village”, “we” and “us”) operate core businesses including theme parks, cinema exhibition, film distribution and marketing solutions.
Through these varied businesses, Village collects information from customers and other parties with whom we deal for a variety of reasons including to enable Village to provide goods and services. Village collects both personal information (as defined in the Privacy Act 1998 (Cth)) and non-personal information and data.
Village takes seriously its obligations in respect of the personal information it gathers. To safeguard that information, Village has implemented a program to ensure compliance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Australian Privacy Principles (“APPs”).
2. USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
2.1 Nature of Information
The personal information may include:
- name, gender, date of birth, contact details;
- payment details (such as credit/ debit card number and expiry date) provided when purchasing our products and services;
- personal bank account details (including account number and BSB) to administer cash back offers and award prize money won in promotions;
- loyalty program membership number and details including buying history, date of joining, opinions and product preferences;
- information about your use of our goods and services and other goods and services you may be interested in; and
- employment applications.
Village (or its agent) collects certain information of shareholders for registration purposes, such as name, address, number of shares held, tax file number and bank account details. Village is required to maintain a register of shareholders under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).
2.2 How Village Collects Personal Information
Village may collect personal information when a customer uses our services or purchases our goods, registers to receive our communications, registers to be part of one of our loyalty programs (including Lifestyle Rewards), enters a competition or promotion managed by us (including where a third party organisation is the promoter), visits our websites, applies for employment, completes a survey or otherwise interacts with us.
There may be occasions when Village collects personal information about a customer from a third party. These third parties may include agents and other people who sell goods or services to customers for us or who interact with customers on our behalf; third parties who run competitions and other promotions for us; recruitment agencies; sharebrokers when shares in Village are purchased and social media. Village engages third parties who provide us with information about customers collected from publicly available sources or from their own databases.
In accordance with the APPs, where practical, customers may deal with Village anonymously. However, frequently it is necessary to collect personal information during the course of transactions.
2.3 What happens if Personal Information is not provided?
Village may not be able to provide a proper service to customers or undertake the activities set out at 3.1 if personal information is not provided upon request.
- understand its customers and their preferences;
- improve a customer’s website browsing experience;
- better understand how its websites are used and to allow improved navigation for its customers; and
- enable it to present customised messages and offerings to customers.
The cookies Village use do not store any personal information. However, if a loyalty club member is logged into their account, the data Village collects via cookies may be linked with that member’s personal information.
You can configure your Internet browser to erase cookies from your computer’s hard drive, block cookies or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. If a customer disables the use of, or deletes, cookies on their web browser then they may not be able to gain access to all the content and facilities of Village’s websites.
2.5 Google Analytics
2.6 Data Collection and Use
Village may use Google Analytics (including Google remarketing), Facebook remarketing, cookies, pixel tags, web beacons, clear GIFs or other similar technologies to collect anonymous data of a customer’s visit to any one of its websites and deliver targeted advertisements or content to that customer about products and services based on the webpages visited and the way in which the customer accesses the website. This content may be delivered by third party vendors when you visit our websites or third party websites. Where customers visit our webpages containing Warner Bros content, Village may disclose the data it collects to Warner Bros to use as a remarketing tool.
To create customer profiles, Village may also aggregate data collected via these sources with other information collected from customers. To the extent that this data or information constitutes personal information, Village will only use the information in accordance with the Privacy Act and the APPs.
3. USE AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
3.1 Use of Personal Information
Village may use personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide and administer goods and services, such as verifying a customer’s identity contacting customers about orders and bookings and processing payments;
- to operate competitions, promotions and events managed by Village (including where we provide this service on behalf of third party organisations);
- to distribute communications itself or with the assistance of third party service providers;
- to provide customer support, including assistance with ordering goods and services and responding to other enquiries or requests;
- to conduct marketing activities for Village’s goods and services, or goods and services of third parties, and to conduct market and other research to improve Village’s products, services and marketing activities;
- to create aggregate data through demographic profiling and statistical analysis of the database to provide to third parties and to allow for more efficient operation of Village’s businesses;
- to register any shareholding customers may have in Village and to contact them in relation to any shareholding;
- to conduct market research and analysis;
- to facilitate participation in loyalty and rewards programs (including where we provide this service on behalf of third party organisations);
- to manage job applications;
- to establish, exercise or defend any legal claims;
- fraud prevention; and
- to maintain records and comply with Australian law.
3.2 Disclosure of Personal Information
In general, only officers, employees or contractors of Village may view personal information. The information we collect may be shared within Village for the purposes outlined above.
Village will only disclose to other parties where Village believes that access is necessary to achieve the purpose for which the personal information was collected.
Village may disclose personal information to a service provider (such as auditors, accountants and lawyers) and other professional services firms to comply with our legal obligations, including to various law enforcement agencies, regulatory authorities and government bodies. Village may also disclose personal information to couriers, computer security companies and hosting services or a related company or person, for example, a related body corporate or someone with whom Village shares a common commercial interest. Customers of Village may be presented with the option of having their credit card details retained (by a third party) for future purchases.
Where a third party organisation has joined our Lifestyle Rewards program, Village may disclose personal information of the participants of the Lifestyle Rewards Program to that organisation to allow it to monitor the success of the program and your use of the program. To the extent that these third parties are located in Australia and Village discloses personal information to them, they are subject to the Privacy Act which prevents the personal information being used for any other purposes.
3.3 International transfers
Village may disclose personal information to overseas service providers. Village will only do so in compliance with all applicable Australian privacy laws and will take reasonable steps to ensure the overseas service providers handle the personal information in accordance with the APPs. Village will take reasonable steps to protect personal information regardless to which country it is transferred or transferred.
Village may also disclose personal information to third parties who process data, operate customer experience surveys and send our marketing emails to subscribers. The countries in which these third parties are located include the United States, New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa.
3.4 Storage and Security
Personal information may be stored in hard copy, electronic files or both. Hard copy personal information is wherever practical, kept under locked security. Personal information stored on computer is wherever practical, password protected. Village uses third party information system providers who may store or have access to personal information. Where possible and practical, Village will endeavour to comply with recognised Australian and international standards relating to information security. Village deletes and de-identifies personal information when the information is no longer needed by Village.
3.5 Updating Personal Information
Village monitors the quality and accuracy of personal information that it maintains and where practical, updates that information on a regular basis. Customers can update or correct their personal information at any time by contacting Village’s Privacy Officer.
Village has adopted the position that a young person is able to give their consent when he or she has a sufficient understanding and maturity to understand what is being proposed. Where practical, when obtaining personal information from minors, Village will make an assessment before collecting that information as to whether the persons involved would be able to provide informed consent to the use of their personal information.
6. DIRECT MARKETING
Personal information collected for direct marketing purposes will only be collected, used or disclosed with the consent of the customer. However, in some circumstances where Village cannot practically obtain the consent of a customer, Village may still engage in direct marketing, but will:
- include an 'unsubscribe' facility so customers can unsubscribe from the mailing list at any time or contact the Privacy Officer to remove the customer’s details from the mailing list; and
- include a prominent statement to the fact that a customer may make such a request.
7. ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
Customers wishing to request access to, or correct, personal information held by Village should contact the Privacy Officer using the contact details in the section below titled “Who to Contact”.
Village will provide access to the information held about the individual, including for the purpose of correcting or updating that information, unless there is an exception which applies under the APPs. Any request to provide access to this information will be dealt with within a reasonable time.
If Village refuses to provide a customer with access to their personal information, Village will provide written reasons and advise the customer how they may complain about the refusal. Loyalty program members may update their own profile information online or by contacting the Privacy Officer. If Village withholds access to personal information, Village will consider whether the provision of access to an independent third party will meet Village’s and the relevant customer’s needs.
8. WHO TO CONTACT
Village is committed to working with its customers to obtain a fair resolution of any complaint or concern about privacy.
If you have a concern about your privacy or a query on how your personal information is collected or used please contact Village using the details below. We will respond to your query or complaint within a reasonable time. If you are not satisfied with Village’s response, you may also contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Write to us at:
Village Roadshow Limited
Level 1,500 Chapel Street
South Yarra, Victoria 3141